May 2009

Everyone wants to know what they will have to pay for a good or service. Especially, what will be the cost for a lawyer.

The good news in Illinois Workers’ Compensation cases is that there are no up front fees.

You do not have to pay a fee to have the lawyer start on your case.

You also do not have to pay hourly fees as your case moves forward.

You only pay 20% of whatever the attorney recovers for you. Usually at the end of the case. However, if the Insurance company denies you benefits and the lawyer gets them to pay temporary total disability benefits while you are off work then the lawyer can charge you 20% of those payments also.

The lawyer will often pay all your costs-medical records, depositions- for you upfront. You will pay for the costs from your settlement.

This makes it easier for you to hire a lawyer to protect your rights.

Paying 20% of your settlement or award is usually well worth it to make sure you get the correct amount, and to make certain you get future medical treatment if necessary.

Questions about using a lawyer? Please call Workers’ Compensation Attorney Dirk May at 309-827-4371.


You need to contact a Workers Compensation Lawyer immediately if you find yourself in one of these situations:

* You are injured and not being given medical treatment;

* Your medical bills are not being paid;

* You are off work and are not being paid 66% of your average weekly wage;

* You have not been made an offer to settle your case;

* The settlement offer made to you is not fair; or

* You think you will need future medical treatment.

Need to talk to an Illinois Work Comp attorney? Call me, Attorney Dirk May at 309-827-4371.

Last time we discussed what can be done if you need prescriptions for your Workers’ Compensation injury.

The other major need is medical treatment.

If Work Comp insurance will not pay for your medical treatment, the options are go to trial, have group medical pay for the treatment, or have a third party pay.

Going to trial takes quite some time. If group will pay this may be the easiest. However, if you do not have group health or it will not pay then you may have another choice.

I have had a third party who will pay for medical treatment for some of my clients. Should you need medical treatment please call me, Attorney Dirk May, at 309-827-4371.

Sometimes the Work Comp Insurance Company will refuse to pay for work injury related prescriptions, or delay in approving payment.

The options for the injured worker are to pay out of pocket or pay the co-pay, go without, or go to court.

Going to court takes too long in the cases of prescriptions.

Paying the co-pay or out of pocket can become expensive.

Another possibility is to have a third party pay for the prescriptions and they will be repaid at the end of the case.

I have had success with a vendor who will provide 24 to 48 hour delivery service to my clients.

Should you find yourself in the situation of needing a Work Comp prescription without upfront payment please give me, Attorney Dirk May, a call at 309-827-4371.