Many Workers’ Compensation Insurance Companies will deny medical treatment for an injured worker, and the only way to challenge this is to go to trial and ask the Arbitrator to order the insurance company to pay for the treatment. This process takes some time to go through and you will have to wait for your surgery or procedure.

Now there is another way to get your treatment, and it is faster than a trial. Some companies exist that will pay for the procedures  and wait for reimbursement from your trial award or settlement. This does not cost you any extra money. The companies have made arrangements with our law firm to start reviewing Workers Compensation cases in Peoria, Bloomington, Decatur and Champaign.

Should you have a case where you are being denied medical treatment please contact me immediately to discuss. Ask for attorney Dirk May at 309-827-4371.


If the Workers’ Compensation insurance company will not authorize your medical treatment and you have group health insurance you may be able to submit your claim through group and get treatment. This is the fastest way to get treatment.

If you do not have group health insurance, then you will have to proceed to trial to have the Arbitrator order the insurance company to pay for your treatment. This approach will take some time because you must have your doctor testify that you need treatment and that it is related to your work injury. In addition, the insurance company will most likely want to send you to their doctor and have you examined so that the doctor can testify against you if the doctor believes the injury is not related to your work accident.

Should you have any questions and you live in Central Illinois please feel free to contact me, Dirk May, Workers’ Compensation lawyer taking cases in Bloomington, Peoria, Champaign, Decatur and Springfield, Illinois.

In Illinois, every employer must have Workers’ Compensation Insurance. You can check the Workers’ Compensation Commission website to determine if your employer carries the insurance. If you are injured and your employer does not have the proper insurance, you should report it to the Commission immediately. Employers who do not have Workers Compensation insurance can be fined and in some cases face criminal charges. If the employer is solvent, it may be able to pay the claim.

In addition, you can file a claim against your employer and the State Treasurer. The State of Illinois has a new fund which may be used in certain circumstances to pay injured workers whose Employer’s do not carry workers comp insurance. The fund usually will pay only a percentage of the award, but the alternative is usually not recovering anything if the employer is insolvent or has disappeared.

No surgical results are ever guaranteed, but back surgeries are especially problematic. There are often complications and lingering pain.

In Illinois Workers’ Compensation Law if you settle your case after a back surgery, then any further treatment you may need is no longer the responsiblity of the Workers Comp insurance company. The only way to cover future medical treatment is to have a Workers’ Compensation Hearing. The Hearing will result in a ruling from the Arbitrator that will award benefits and medical payments. If you win your workmans compensation case, you are automatically provided with the potential for future medical treatment.

The main thing to remember is that after a surgery related to a work injury, if you settle your workmans comp case, all medical stops.